Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I love you, sweetie. Now go to sleep.


One of the nicest outcomes of having a Chinese babysitter is that the kids learn a bit of Mandarin. One of Kean's favorite lines is "Wo ai ni" (pronounced woe-I-knee), which means I love you in Chinese. His favorite time to say it is at bedtime, after he's climbed into his crib and we're about to call it a night. Thing is, after he says it, he expects us to say it, then he repeats it back and expects us to repeat it back, and the circular conversation goes on and on and on. After a few "wo ai ni"'s back and forth, I inch toward the door to sneak away. Sometimes this works. But every now and then, as I head downstairs, he'll start screaming, "MAAAAAAMA, SAY WO AI NI!! SAY WO AI NI!!' Which, when you translate it, sounds very funny.

1 comment:

K said...

ok soooooooooooo sweet!!! Tired I am sure but still soooooooooo sweet. Kelly