Friday, November 20, 2009

A Tall Tale

When people ask June's age, the usual comment is "Boy, she's tall!" or some variation thereof. Which is what the mom at toddler time said to me this morning, followed by "Her father must be tall." Hmmm. No one had ever said this to me. So, I said the first thing that came to mind: I don't know. The woman looked at me totally dumbfounded. If she had a caption bubble over her head like in a cartoon, it would have read How can this woman not know if the father of her child is tall? Then she seemed embarrassed, as if she had treaded on a taboo subject with me: This woman has had so many partners that she doesn't know who her child's father is? It took me a couple seconds to notice her confusion and clear it up. You could almost see the wave of relief come over her face.

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Jennifer, you should have played this one out a little more. Something like " I distinctly remember the one guy was kinda tall but the other guy I remember was kinda of short so to be honest I dont honestly know who her father is..