Tuesday, April 10, 2007

All smiles


Today we officially became June's parents. One of the officials who oversees international adoptions for Hubei province came to the hotel and interviewed each family in turn about why we wanted to adopt, how we would provide for the children, etc. They made a footprint of June's foot for the documents and we had to "sign" them with our fingerprints. The process basically took all morning, but we also got a chance to meet June's orphanage director again and ask a few more questions. Through our translator, we learned that June's foster parents were quite young, about 31 or 32, a married couple with an 8-year-old daughter. That explains June's nickname "mei-mei" (pronounced may-may), which means younger sister. She was likely called that by her foster sister. Many of the girls adopted by our families know each other because they were brought once or twice a month to the Wuxue social welfare institute for a check-up and playtime.
The orphanage truly loves these kids. Yesterday, we got a photo album of pictures of June taken since she was 1 month old. Each family got one and some of our kids are in each other's albums because they were playmates. It's really a priceless gift for June. We've been so blessed to have such wonderful people care and nurture her while we made our long journey to her.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I've been sitting here talking to the picture of the three of you for the past few minutes, saying, "Look at you! I've never seen three happier people!" Thank you for sharing this with us. I haven't stopped smiling or tearing up since yesterday, each time I look at your pictures!

And here's the other thing I noticed today: In the picture of the three of you, I swear you all look alike! There's something very kindred and similar in all three pairs of eyes. I don't quite know how to describe it, but it's there.

Hugs and kisses to you three. We can't wait to meet her!

Patricia and Armen

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions you guys! What a wonderful thing to see this morning! She is beautiful--and you both look so happy. Enjoy the rest of your time there and safe travels back. I look forward to meeting her...

XO
-Amy D.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing one of the most important moments of your lives with us. I've gone through a bunch of tissues looking at these beautiful pictures of you with June. She is gorgeous. Congrats. Seema.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is me Andy I have seen maney pictures of the baby and you. I hope the baby is doing fin and I hOpe you and the baby are having fun in China. Soon or later leave an email to us thank you Paul and Jenifor. Also say Hi to baby for me.
From: Andy

Anonymous said...

Here's a note from a former colleague at the Inquirer (i sent him the link because I knew he'd appreciate). He's been through this -- twice! --and just wrote a book about it all. I will be sure to pass it along when it comes out.

"Our second daughter, Zhao Gu, stopped crying only long enough to give Christine a good bite on the nose. So that's what she thought of the whole idea.

That's such a healthy thing that their baby is crying - she
has the ability to attach."

jk

Anonymous said...

Great picture.
I can just picture Paul with June.Don't worry Jose still gets that look when the kids drive him crazy..
Paul dont bribe, Jose says. Look at Sophia! she asks $5 bucks if we want to take a picture of her..and she is serious about it too..

Enjoy your stay in China,PICTURES.
Can't wait to see you back home.

Madeline

Anonymous said...

HI,
Every day since your first message the first order of business when arriving home from work is to; log on, read, cry, pray and miss all of you! Cannot wait to experience your magical happiness 'in person!' Until tomorrow, sleep well and savor every second. All my love, Monica

Anonymous said...

Hello from NJ-
I have been checking the blogs in school this week and am so so so happy for you both. I cannot wait to meet June- what a cutie!- and spend time with her in Wildwood. Maggie and I will (attempt) to "show her the ropes" of Jersey shore living. haha
Enjoy you time in China and see all three (!) of you soon!!

Love Katie

Samantha said...

Congratulations! Thank You for posting your blog to the WHFC group! You look like you all belong together! She is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Looking at these smiling faces brought tears to my eyes. My sister is now a mom and will enjoy everyday in a more meaningful way. I was just thinking that you and Paul will be able to celebrate mother's day and father's day when you return home!! I am just thrilled for you both and your eyes show your happiness. Can't wait to see the next pictures.

Cindy

K said...

More paperwork (how is that even possible)!! Wow you got photo albums that is great! Oh Jen & Paul I have learned so much about what we can expect from your wonderful blog. Thank you so much for sharing.
Kelly & Mark